Saturday, June 12, 2010

Friday Night Rehash 11Jun10

When I was little, my mom used to work on Saturday afternoon/evening. My Dad, being the smart man that he is, decided to use this brand new device the "VCR" to record cartoons every Saturday morning while we ate breakfast. He then would wait until my mother left for work and show us the tape. Thus for years I had no idea that it was "Saturday morning cartoons", because they were always on in the afternoon at my house.

That's a little how I feel about wrestling right now. The Historian and I are currently big fans of the TNA (Total Non-Stop Action) Wrestling Promotion, and they air their show (Impact) on Thursdays. Since I have class on Thursdays most weeks (and 11 o'clock is, sadly, past my bedtime) we watch this on the DVR on Friday (oh how technology has grown since the early 80s). We also get takeout. It's become a bit of a ritual actually, I feel pretty sad if we actually have to like, go somewhere or something.

So basically, what I'm doing here writing on a Saturday about a show I watched on Friday that actually aired on Thursday. What can I say, my life is hectic during the week.

First things first: This week we ordered from Murray's, our fabulous local pizza place. They (oddly enough) have some of the best Tuna Salad I've ever tasted, and they'll put it on a Greek Salad if you ask nice.

Second, and more importantly, here's the breakdown of the show, and why you should have seen it:

Quote of the Night:
"Through serious meditation, focusing all my energy through my pineal gland, I've been able to read my cosmic record with my third eye. Simply put this means I've seen my life in this physical form from start to finish, and I understand my true purpose, I understand why I have this fire in my belly to be the greatest in all of pro wrestling, I understand why my father was a paranoid schizophrenic, why my mother was a genius, why it had to be that way for me to serve my purpose. I'm here in TNA to capture the X Division title, to help it achieve it's greater purpose, a title that has no discriminations no size sex or age discrimination a title for the truly courageous. And then I'll serve my greater purpose, my time will come it's already happened. Thank you for your time."
-Brian Kendrick

I feel relatively convinced I've heard Chad Ochocinco give a similar speech.

Best Move you Would Have Seen:
Amazing Red doing an Outside the Ring Huricanrana on to Kurt Angle

I was trying to find a picture of this move, but instead I found the wikihow article on how to do it, which is funnier:
1. Build your jumping ability
2. Jump on your opponents shoulders
3. Do a 180 degree backflip or frontflip
4. Pull their neck down while you move slightly to the side
5. Sling your opponent on their back.

Got that? No? Okay fine, here's the video. The move I'm talking about comes around the 37 second mark. FYI, the guy who does this is 5'6'' and 150 lbs.



Funniest Moment you wouldn't have gotten if you weren't a wrestling fan:
Jay Lethal (smaller young black man) doing a pretty spot on Ric Flair (old poorly aging white male wrestling legend) impersonation.

Reason you would have been impressed no matter who you were:
Sting's vicious beatdown of Jeff Jarrett (replayed from the last PPV). When Mick Foley wrote Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks he relays the anecdote of how he lost his ear. Apparently, when he went in to the hospital afterward, the nurse taking care of him remarked "I thought wrestling was all fake????"

Sting's beatdown of Jarrett was a classic example of how there is a world of difference between "fake" and "predetermined". Wrestling is predetermined. There's no way to fake that amount of blood.

Overall rating of the Show for non wrestler fan friendliness: 4 out of 10, the funniest part of the show definitely required some knowledge, multiple old feuds were continued

Overall rating of the show if you like the show and are a fan already: 7 out of 10: Totally solid, and I'm super intrigued about what Sting's getting at.

Overall rating of the takeout order: 6 out of 10. Tuna Salad was a little dry this week.

1 comment:

  1. What's this DVR stuff? You'll have to show me some time.

    ReplyDelete